8.22.2014

Stack of Books Cake

Stack of Books Cake

When my aunt decided to throw a party for my uncle, her and my cousin for their milestone birthdays, she asked if I would make the cake.  Of course, I said yes then I brainstormed about a design that would incorporate birthdays for three different
Senatobia MS cake
people.  The design I came up with was a stack of books with a title on each that reflected something about the person.













book cake


My uncle will be 80 this year and is known for having a story on just about everything.  My aunt is a blonde and hit 70 this year.  My cousin, who turned 50 in June, loves all animals and has a special fondness for cats.





I decided to poke a little fun at the birthday celebrants:
buttercream book cake



I sacrificed a bit of cleaness in the design because I really wanted these cakes to be iced in buttercream instead of fondant.  Before I started, I did some research into how to get a more realistic looking book cake while using buttercream.  
MS book cake


Before this cake, the only book cake I had made was an open book cake.
open book cake


I am especially happy with how my cake board turned out.  I covered it in fondant, made distress marks, scored it with a ruler and then airbrushed it to look like a wood floor. 
Senatobia MS cake

We had a great time at the party and I got to see old friends and family that I had not seen in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!