5.22.2012

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..." 

Well, I like those things, but this post is about a few of my favorite Kitchen Gadgets.  One of the things my husband says when we go to the hardware store is, "You can't have too many tools."  And I wholeheartedly agree, but my tools are kitchen gadgets.

Some women like jewelry, some like purses, my thing is kitchen utensil and gadgets (and shoes, but that is for another time).  So, here are a few of my favorites:

My stand mixer

This is the workhorse of my kitchen.  I use it for making dough (bread, pizza) and all my icings.  When it finally konks out, I will have a period of mourning.






Digital scale

I really thought I did not need one of these, but it has quickly become one of my favorite things.  I originally got it to accurately measure sugar for making Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but I have found that I like the accuracy of weight measuring over volume measuring for other things, as well. 

Bench Scraper

I have had this tool for a number of years.  It is a great tool for smoothing out icing on the sides of cakes.  I also have a very big icing knife but I have never been that comfortable using it.  It just seems so bulky and uncontrollable.  The bench scraper is supposed to be used to divide dough and scrape it off the counter if it sticks, but a lot of cake decorators use it to smooth icing.



Tupperware Mix and Pour Bowl

Not really sure what this is called or if Tupperware even makes it anymore.  I have had this bowl since the early 80's (no kidding!).  You can see that I placed it too close to something very hot and the top melted a little, but it still works great.  I pull this thing out of the cabinet at least 4 times a week. 



Cupcake Spoon

Another gadget I have that I don't know the "official" name for, but it is perfect for measuring out batter for cupcakes.  I think it hold about 3 tablespoons and it works great for getting even amounts of batter into cupcake tins.


Pringles Can

Really?  A Pringles can is a kitchen gadget.  Well, it is for me.  It works great for holding my pastry bags so I can fill them with icing with less mess.  I learned this little trick from the instructor of the very first cake decorating class I ever took.






And finally, my Recipe Box

I keep this box on top of my microwave in my kitchen.  It holds index cards with my cake, frosting, and filling recipes.  I can easily find what recipe I need and pull the card out to place it where I am working in the kitchen. 




One of my UNfavorite things is these plastic measuring cups.  They came from a big box store and were cheap (real cheap).  Well, you get what you pay for.  I haven't had them for very long and have already broken the handles off of two of them.  Hmmm...sounds like a good excuse (er, reason) to go to the kitchen gadget store to get some good ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!